Saturday, May 8, 2010

I Want Chickens!

Am I the only one to have noticed a resurgence in keeping chickens lately?  Surely not, because when I got my latest issue of Organic Gardening, this was on the cover.



Isn't that one of the most beautiful chickens you have ever seen?  That is none other than Heidi, an Appenzeller Spitzhauben pullet.  I think she has a chance at becoming America's Next Top Chicken Super Model. 

All kidding aside, I love chickens.  Back when my babies were still babies, we lived on an acre and a half.  We had pigs, ducks, a rabbit, cats, a dog, a couple of steers, and chickens.  Oh, I was happy as a hog rolling in mud.  I couldn't have asked for a better start to life for my children.  To see them tossing scratch to the chickens, feeding table scraps to the pigs, and the best, to see their pudgy little hands carefully bringing an egg into the kitchen.  The look on their faces - bliss. 



I mean how can you resist finding eggs like this in the nest?  Knowing that it's fresh, wholesome, and plain old good for ya?  Not me.  When we first started out, I think we got about six chicks.  One ended up being a rooster.  So you know what that means....eventually you get more chickens.  We started selling our eggs.  I can't believe that I was selling my fresh eggs for $1.25 a dozen and making a profit.  Times sure have changed.




As I read the Organic Gardening article, it took me back to the days when I would have Rhode Island Reds following me around the place.  Such a pretty and calm chicken.


These Plymouth Barred Chickens were another of my favorites.  Love their chic black and white markings.



This momma Buff Orpington and her chicks remind me of my favorite hen of all, though.  Matilda was so gentle and almost like a pet.  She would be the first one to greet me at the gate every morning. 

The magazine article reignited my love for chickens.  My desire to hear them clucking first thing in the morning and cooing softly as they settled themselves for the night.  Reaching under a fat hen to get an egg for breakfast or to make a cake from scratch is one of life's simplest pleasures.   Alas, I live in an apartment with no yard.  And when I say no yard, I mean no grass, nothin'!  Oh... I long for the day when I can have a couple hens and even a rooster to call my own.

Maybe when I do get chickens, I'll head over to HenSpa.com or EZ Clean Coops  and pick up a top-of-the-line chicken coop.  Or maybe I'll just build me a Red Neck one. 

Which do you like best?

Available from HenSpa.com   









Available from EZ Clean Coops





Red Neck Coop



3 comments:

  1. I want chickens too! They are so neat to watch. I love the one on the mag cover so chic! Your writing is getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I'm BEGGING my husband for chickens!!! He said that if I can keep the garden alive this year, he'd think about it for next year! Here's hoping!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let your voice be heard!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin