Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button & To Kill a Mockingbird

How many of you have seen "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?"  BunBun and I watched it the other night and I can't decide what I really think of it.  Let me say that I rarely watch movies with Brad Pitt - I just don't like him as a person - but the fact that this story started out its life as a story by F. Scott Fitzgerald had me intrigued.  For those of you that don't know, it's the story of a man, born old that gets younger as he ages.  Basically, that's it.  BunBun loved the movie and would watch it again right this second if it was on.  I watched the whole thing, all 2 hours and 47 minutes of it and was interested the entire time.  It was strange to get a look at what Brad Pitt may look like in 10-20 years from now.  Also what he might have looked like before he hit the big time.  And as always, Cate Blanchett did not disappoint.  She is an incredible actress.  I guess I'm rambling here, but when it comes down to it, I couldn't get over the fact that this was Brad Pitt.  Maybe that is why I can't decide if I liked it or not.  I think there are some actors who have become such a persona that it's impossible for them to disappear into a character.  And it really has nothing to do with how long they have been acting or whether they are an icon or not.  I have no problem watching older, more seasoned actors that have a lot more well-acted roles to their credit than Brad Pitt.  And it's not just that I don't care for him.  I can watch any movie with Clint Eastwood and he becomes  the character.  I can watch any movie with Johnny Depp and he becomes the character.  I could list lots of actors that inhabit the role they are playing and let you get "into" the movie.  But I just couldn't do it with this one.  Maybe I will watch it again and see if i receive it any better.  I don't know.  Maybe I should just read what F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote.

Last night we watched "To Kill a Mockingbird."  It never ever disappoints.  The story of Jem, Scout, Atticus, Dill, and Boo Radley has been a favorite since Mrs. Thrap read it to the class in 7th grade.  I don't know when I watched the movie starring Gregory Peck and Robert Duvall for the first time, but I know I fell in love with the story way back when.  BunBun had never seen the movie and I think he liked it.  He didn't say much the whole time.  But I love each and every moment of the film.  From Scout and Jem meeting Dill the very first time to when it ends with Scout walking Boo Radley home.  These are characters who are real.  I didn't think..."oh look, it's Gregory Peck going to give his closing arguments," in the court house scene. No, I thought, "Atticus is going to give one of the most-convincing arguments of his adult life right now."  If you haven't seen the movie or read the book, go do it and enjoy.  If you have seen the movie or read the book, do it again just for the pure joy of watching a terrific film or reading one of the best stories ever written.

3 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about this for awhile.... I think I must be a push over and give any body the benefit of the doubt :) And I think it may be how you were first introduced to them. Like the first time I saw Heath Ledger, in the movie, "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson. I thought WOW! And then, I think, the movie industry really puts a strain on actors. Anyway a different rabbit trail.... Like the first time I saw Tom Cruise - heart be still - but now, well, he hasn't changed much in his acting as well, but he keeps the blood pumping. And that is why I still like Brad Pitt - right now I can't remember the first movie I saw him in, but it is that little sly/coy look he gives in most of his movies. And you think you are the one he is giving to. *heart is going pitter patter* And there is real life association - Brad Pitt reminds me of one of my junior high boyfriends, Jimmy Hayes *sigh* Hope life is treating you good, Jimmy. *another sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny Starla, and that's just one of the reasons I love you. If I saw Johnny Depp in real flesh and blood...I'd probably pee myself. Not a good first impression.

    ReplyDelete

Let your voice be heard!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin