Saturday, September 19, 2009

Felt Bird Ornament Tutorial

I think I have finally figured out this little guy so here is the tutorial I promised.  I hope you like it.  If you use any of the pictures here, please link back to me.  Thanks.


1.  I free-handed the basic shape of a bird.  I have never claimed to be a great artist, but I think it turned out well.  Then I drew in the features I wanted to include.  Basically, beak definition, tail feathers, a wing, and an eye.  I should not have done this with pencil though, as it didn't show up well in the picture.




2.  I placed my cut-out of the bird on a piece of felted wool skirt.  If you don't know how to felt wool, it isn't really that difficult.  (Click on the link for some great instructions.)  I pinned it down on a double layer so I could cut two out at the same


3.  After both pieces were cut out,I began stitching the features from the sketch onto the bird using 3 strands of embroidery floss.  I really like DMC .  I just used a basic stitch for all the features.





4.  I cut a smaller version of the bird from cereal-box-type cardboard and then used Aleene's Craft Glue to adhere the cardboard to one of the felt pieces.  I just waited for it to dry before sewing button eyes on. 




5.  I used six strands of embroidery floss to make the hanging loop and attach the jingle bell.  I used a blanket stitch to put the two felt pieces together.

And....that is my little felt bird ornament.  I actually like how they are all turning out and I may post later on when I have a whole flock to show you.

If you make some of your own, let me know. I would love to see how they turn out.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cindi!!

    I actually have a tutorial on the blog button thing!! It's one of the questions on this post:

    http://jackandmandy.blogspot.com/2009/08/blog-design-tips-question-and-answer.html

    Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I love the idea of using the cereal box cardboard to give it some structure - gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete

Let your voice be heard!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin